Tuesday, November 1, 2022

XI unit test 1 Marks 25

 

               UNIT-TEST 1

STD-11th                                    SUB-English        Marks-25                    

*******************************************************************

Q. 1(A) Read the extract and complete the activities given below.           (12)

        It was April 2004.I stood in the middle of the lush green field of Moong (green gram) and looked around me. It was just before sunrise and the sky was turning bright Orange. The ground was damp and the leaves were shining with due. My bare feet were muddy as I walked around gingely ,inspecting the plants.

         Around me were rows of Chipko trees and below dense foliage of moong. At that point ,I could not have asked for anything more. The moong plants, not more than two feet tall, had green pods hanging out .The pods were not yet ripe and there was a light fuzz growing on them. There was still some time before the harvest. I felt exhilarated.

          I stood watching the sun rise above the towering trees across the fence and slowly made my way back to the house, a white structure in the middle of this greenery .I could not believe that I was the owner of this land and that I was looking at my first crop as a farmer. After I had paid the the advance money for the the land, I  thought I would have some time to get familiar with harming. But Moru Dada, the broker who got us the land ,had other ideas .He was keen that we plant moong at once. I was not prepared for this. I was still reading books and trying to figure out what we could sow and how we should go about it. Moru Dada was quite firm. He said the season was right for sowing moong and the best seeds were available in Surat in the adjacent  state of Gujarat.

         I made a quick trip to Surat and bought around 10 kilograms of moong. Moru Dada rented his tractor to plough the land and quickly planted moong all over the place.

         Few days later, we were overjoyed to see tiny green leaves. I had never seen moong growing before and was thrilled at the sight. it was the same thrill I had felt as a young boy when I saw the first of the Hibiscus I had planted bloom at the Railway Quarters in Vile Parle in Mumbai. I was grateful to have taken Moru's advice.

 

A1 Choose:

Choose the correct alternative and rewrite the sentence.

1. The narrator decided to sow moong/ rice.

2. Moru Dada was the owner /broker who gave the land to the narrator.

3. The narrator brought two/ten kilograms of moong  from Surat.

4. The narrator planted Hibiscus/ moong in Vile Parle in Mumbai.

A2. Complete:

Complete the following table giving information of narrators moong plant.

                • Moong plant•

1)   … .

2)   … .

3)   … .

4)   … . .

A3 Guess:

Guess the reason behind planting the moong in the farm.

A4. Personal Response:

Give a list of crops that you see in your area.

A5. Language Study:

1)   The ground was damp and the leaves were shining with dew. (Rewrite the sentence using "as well as".)

2)   At that point, I could not have asked for anything more .(Rewrite the sentence using 'be able to')

A6.Vocabulary:

Find the words related to'agriculture'

 

(B) Language study(Grammar)         (3)

1.That answer pleased the old gentleman.(Change it into Past Perfect Tense.)

2.Mrs.Adis did not speak for a moment.(Make Yes/No type question)

3.His legs refused to support him,he sat down on the pile of sacks. (Use 'As soon as')

 

Q. 2 Read the extract and complete the activities given below.                 (10)

Eight years have passed

Since I placed my Cherry seed in the grass.

"Must have a tree of my own".I said,

And watered it once and went to bed

And forgot; but cherries have a way of growing,

Though no one's caring very much for knowing.

And suddenly that summer near the end of May,

I found a tree had come to stay.

It was very small, five months child,

Lost in the tall grass running wild.

Goats ate the leaves, the grass cutter scythe

Split it apart and a monsoon blight

Shrivelled the slender stem… Even So

Next spring I watched three new shoots grow,

The young tree struggle, upward thrust

Its arms in a fresh fierce lust

For light and air and sun.

 

A1. True or false:

 State whether the following statements are true or false.

1. They destroyed the cherry tree.

2. The cherry tree had an Instinct to survive.

3. The Blossoms are fragile.

4. There were no new shoots to the cherry tree in the spring.

A2. Give Reason:

The life of the cherry tree was threatened because---------------------------------

A3. Personal Response:

Give four reasons that are responsible for cutting the trees.

A4. Poetic Device:

I found a tree had come to stay.

( Name and explain the figure of speech)

A5. Poetic Creativity:

Compose four poetic lines describing any incident in your life.

 

******************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment